Friday, August 5, 2011

The Backlog Blog

EDITOR'S NOTE: I am not doing backlog stuff anymore, just straight game reviews. So this is outdated. The game list is also outdated; I have boatloads more now. So you can pretend this doesn't exist. 

Greetings, fellow gamers. My name is Nathan, and I have a problem.

My problem is that I own a metric butt-ton of video games, and I haven't beaten the half of them. I have a monster backlog, one that is looming over me, and still I keep buying more games. It's an awful thing, to be certain. However, now I'm going to try and fix it.

On this blog I'm going to document every time I play a backlogged game, with my comments and critique. I'll post screenshots and snarky comments based on how I feel about a particular game, as well as insights as to how long I've been playing it, etc.

Keep in mind I'll be limited to the games I own and the systems I have. After I beat a game, I'll open it up to the readers (however many few of them there might be) to tell me what game they think I should try and beat next. But first, let's lay down a few guidelines on how this is going to work.

Rules

- I'm going to play games that I've bought but have not yet played. Some of these games I bought recently but played/beaten before. If that's the case, I'll indicate that on the list, but they are still fair game.


- I'm going to try to beat every game all the way through. That doesn't, hoever, mean I'm going to 100% everything or do every side quest. I'll beat the main story and as much of the side bits as I feel like, but my run is mainly to simply beat the game. 


- I'm going to preference more modern games as well as games that have a more defined beginning, middle, and (most importantly) end. For the less modern games (or games that are older, ex Duck Tales, etc.) I'll instead do a simple review or post where I run through the game and give a basic rundown. This applies for the majority of the NES games, so expect mini-reviews of these games when I play through them to the best of my ability. However, I probably won't dedicate massive amounts of time to them like would be required for Disgaea, for example.


- Single player games only, and in games with multiplayer I'll give the multiplayer a shot but that isn't the main focus. If I'm playing CoD: World at War, for example, I'll beat the main story and then maybe test multiplayer, but I'm not going to get to the max level or anything. 


- I will not "bow out" at any time unless I really feel like it is necessary. Also, if a technical issue makes it impossible for me to finish a game, that also is reason to quit. 


- These have to be games that can be beaten. So games like Rock Band, DDR, etc. are right out. If there isn't an actual ending or stopping place, it isn't on the list. 


At my current state, I don't have a capture card or any way to take video for me to comment over. So for the time being you are limited to me finding screenshots off the internet of what I'm talking about relevant to the games. Perhaps in the near future I'll manage to get a card and start taking video of this instead, which would be a lot more fun.

And now, here is the full list of games I own that have yet to be beaten. Be warned, it's pretty massive! First off, however, here are the list of systems I currently have:

Xbox 360 with Kinect
PS3 (Launch, so backwards compatible with PS2 and PS1 games)
Nintendo Gamecube
Nintendo 64
Super Nintendo
NES
Nintendo DS Lite (plays GBA games)


And here are the list of "unbeaten" games for each of these systems. Keep this in mind for future voting on the next game I play!

* - Started, got a substantial way through, but not beaten
~ - Beaten before, but not since re-obtaining the game


Disc Games

Child of Eden *
Deadly Premonition *
Lego Star Wars - The Complete Saga *
Lego Indiana Jones
Kung Fu Panda
Mirror's Edge
Overlord II
Singularity

XBLA Games

Darwinia +
Defense Grid *
Greed Corp *
Gyromancer *
Half-Minute Hero *
Hydrophobia
ilomilo *
Monkey Island 2 SE *
Outpost Koloki X
Prince of Persia Classic *
Splosion Man *
Trials HD *
Wik: Fable of Souls




Disc Based Games

3D Dot Game Heroes *
Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice
Final Fantasy XIII *
Infamous
Little Big Planet *
Metal Gear Solid 4
Valkyria Chronicles

PSN Games

Stacking
Sonic Adventure
Shatter
Mega Man 10



Beyond Good and Evil
Disgaea - Hour of Darkness
Disgaea 2 - Cursed Memories *
Final Fantasy X ~
God Hand *
Metal Gear Solid ~
Metal Gear Solid 2 - Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 3 - Snake Eater
Okami *
Persona 4 *
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time ~
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within *~
Prince of Persia: The Two Towers ~
Psychonauts
Shadow of the Colossus *
Silent Hill 2 *
Silent Hill 3 ~
The Suffering




Final Fantasy VII ~*
Final Fantasy VIII ~
Final Fantasy IX ~
Alundra
Final Fantasy Tactics *
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus
Spyro Year of the Dragon
Parasite Eve *~
Resident Evil 2
Suikoden
Silent Hill *




Baten Kaitos - Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Metroid Prime ~
Metroid Prime 2
Spider-Man
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess *
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker *~





Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Blast Corps
Perfect Dark
Starfox 64
Jet Force Gemeni
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ~
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask ~


Final Fantasy II ~
Final Fantasy III ~
Zelda: A Link to the Past ~
Chrono Trigger ~
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest *


Castlevania
Castlevania 2 - Simon's Quest
Castlevania 3 - Dracula's Curse
Blaster Master
Batman
Dragon Warrior
Duck Tales
Megaman 2 ~
Marble Madness
Paperboy
Rad Racer
Kirby's Adventure *

Phoenix Wright - Trials and Tribulations *
Phoenix Wright - And Justice for All
Ace Attorney - Apollo Justice
The World Ends With You
Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure *
Disgaea DS

So, now that all that crap is out of the way, it's time to announce the first game I'm going to play in my backlog! And that game is...*drumroll*

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes!

Oh quit whining, it's a fine game
The reason for this is:

1. I beat Metroid Prime a while back and quite enjoyed it.
2. I started MP2:E shortly after it was released, but never beat it. I remember enjoying it but was also really mad because it did a lot of things I didn't feel were "Metroidy" enough. We'll see if I still feel the same six years later.
3. My Gamecube doesn't get enough love.


So that's it! I played a fair amount today, but since I'm still figuring out the process there might not be a post. Expect a write-up for the first couple hours of MP2: Echoes soon! And be sure and share this blog around if you enjoy it; I'd love to have comments and feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment