Monday, February 6, 2012

Week in Review for 2/5/2012 - "Dark" Week


Welcome back to week in review! It was a double dose of trends this week: I reviewed both every Rock Band game as well as every Kinect game I own except one (Dance Central 2; expect that shortly), meaning retro games got put into the backburner. Fear not, for I have more magical old-school for you reviews coming up soon. Maybe I'll even do a full week of them sometime! Who knows.
So I tackled 15 games this week, throwing the total up to 48. Not too bad. Considering I probably have hundreds to go, I suppose I should pick up the pace. But hey, this isn't that bad considering I'm currently also writing a novella, editing a novel, going to work, and doing an internship. So yeah, busy busy.

My thoughts for this week: comparing review scores. Here's something I want to point out with my reviews: while the star scores are helpful, they aren't the "end all" for these games. I also rate games based both on the experience, what system they are on, and generally if I feel they are worth looking into. For example, I gave Kinect Sports a four out of five, but also gave Persona 3: FES a four out of five. Do I think these are the same quality of games, since I gave them the same star rating? No way (Persona 3: FES is better), but given my experiences with these games, I'd say both were worth purchasing if you have the systems for them. I figure out scores when I finish writing out my thoughts; I rarely go into reviews with pre-conceived stars decided. So if, in my mind, the text I wrote indicates this is a four out of five star game...I give it to it. I also judge games differently based on what they are and what they are trying to do. Kinect Sports wanted to create a fun Kinect experience that worked, and for the most part it pulled it off. Persona 3: FES wanted to create a fusion of dating, pokemon, and JRPG grinding and for the most part, it pulled it off. One could argue Persona 3 is being judged on a more severe scale than Kinect Sports, but it's more of just a different scale. So keep that in mind if you are just looking over the stars; the text is all there for a reason.

That being said, here's this week's reviews.


Rock Band 2 - 5 / 5 Stars
Lego Rock Band - 2 / 5 Stars
The Beatles: Rock Band - 5 / 5 Stars
Green Day: Rock Band - 4 / 5 Stars
Rock Band 3 - 5 / 5 Stars
Terminator Salvation - 1 / 5 Stars
Ninja Blade - 2 / 5 Stars
Warhammer 40k: Kill Team - 3 / 5 Stars
Kinect Adventures - 2 / 5 Stars
The Gunstringer - 4 / 5 Stars
Dance Central - 4 / 5 Stars
Child of Eden - 3 / 5 Stars
YourShape: Fitness Evolved - 3 / 5 Stars
Kinect Sports - 4 / 5 Stars
Kinect Sports: Season 2 - 2 / 5 Stars

See you all next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment